Texas’ SB 4 Could Lead To Other Sanctuary City Bans In Other States
The above is my version of title by Brooke Singman at Fox News.
Thanks to Reporter Singman, we’ve been told of two other anti-Sanctuary City laws on-the-books in Georgia and Tennessee. Together with Mississippi, that makes four states with official anti-Sanctuary City laws.
Singman is misleading in her statement that “Nevada doesn’t have any cities that declare themselves as ‘sanctuaries’ and neither does Texas.” While those mayors may not have OFFICIALLY declared their cities to be “Sanctuary Cities”, the fact remains that THESE CITIES ARE SANCTUARY CITIES by policy (with their Special Order 40-style ordinances that handcuff the police instead of the criminals).
Steve Salvi’s ojjpac.org is considered THE preeminent Sanctuary City list site.
Here’s how he lists Nevada’s Sanctuary Cities. Las Vegas is in Clark County:
- Clark Co., NV (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)
- Washoe Co., NV (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)
- Reno, NV (Added 5-31-07; 2-18-08 Disputed by city; OJJPAC has requested a copy of city policies but never received them as of 1-28-12)
Here the list from Texas:
- Austin, TX (Congressional Research Service)
- Baytown, TX (6-13-07 Local reader observation; 12-9-15 Note: The City of Baytown disputes it’s listing as a sanctuary. Status is currently under review.)
- Brownsville, TX
- Channelview, TX (6-13-07 Local reader observation)
- Denton, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Dallas Co., TX Added 8-2-16, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report; Dallas County passes resolution welcoming unauthorized immigrants, Dallas News, 2-7-17.
- El Cenizo, TX (6-13-07 Congressional Research Service)
- Ft. Worth, TX
- Houston, TX (Congressional Research Service)
- Katy, TX (Congressional Research Service)
- Laredo, TX (Entry added in 2007. Source added 7-25-15 Breitbart.com article by Brandon Darby, 7-6-15, regarding Laredo PD critical of officers calling Border Patrol. )
- Mcallen, TX
- Port Arthur, TX (6-13-07 Reader/resident observation)
- Travis Co., TX (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report; and Houston Chronicle article by Mike Ward, 1-23-17)
Here’s what Salvi says about Maine:
- Portland (Added 5/31/07 Note: Maine resident reported that Portland city council passed sanctuary legislation)
- State of Maine (Added 5/31/07 Note: Governor of Maine initiated de facto protections for illegal aliens by Executive Order in 2004)*
It’s good to see that Nevada, Florida and Louisiana are considering bans on Sanctuary Cities.
I think Reporter Singman should consider Salvi’s site as others do who study the issue of the Invasion by Mexico and Sanctuary Cities.
Just because a city doesn’t CALL itself a Sanctuary City doesn’t mean it isn’t one!